I have been very much into comfort food lately and this recipe of Chicken and Barley Stew definitely fits the bill.
Since I took out my crockpot out of the garage and left it on my kitchen counter, I tend to use it way more often. I just love how easy it is to put everything together in the slow cooker, leave for a few hours and have a hearty and healthy meal ready to eat.
I know we are heading towards summer and we will soon shift to lighter meals, but nights have still been pretty chilly here in California. We still enjoy warm food and soup once in a while for dinner and have our fresh salads for lunch in the sun. The perfect combination for me.
Check out the recipe below and let me know if you have any feedbacks.
Chicken and Barley Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken tights without skin
- ½ onion. Chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ ground coriander
- ½ cayenne
- Pepper and salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14 oz
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup green olives pitted
- Heat olive oil in a pan over high heat. Cook chicken on both sides until brown and remove from pan.
- Add onions to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the spices. Cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- Place the onions, carrots mixture in your slow cooker. Add the chicken, diced tomatoes, spices and ½ cup of water and mix well.
- Cook for 5 hours on slow.
- Add barley and raisins and cook for another hour.
- Add olives and serve with chopped parsley.