I love brownies, they might be one of my favorite cakes. But I always find it hard to buy a good one, so I decided to try to come up with the best brownie recipe, pecan brownie in my case.
My problem is that most brownies in coffee places, groceries stores etc. do not come with nuts. I found it very sad cause they add so much texture to it.
I also find them to be quite chewy most of the time, while I like them lighter. And last but not least, the chocolate quality is always off.
So what is a good brownie then?
For me, a good brownie needs to have a little crust on top of it, a bit like a meringue, have texture but not too much, I want the chocolate to melt in the mouth and I want the crunchiness of the nuts (walnuts, pecans,… doesn’t matter as long as I have nuts).
It’s funny but when I was a kid, we used to buy “American” brownies in the supermarket by my house. In case you don’t know it, I am French and yes we did have specials sometimes in supermarket with American products that you did not find everyday otherwise(pancakes mix, bagels, brownies, peanut butter etc.)
The brownies from this store came in a cardboard box. I am almost sure I would not like them anymore now, but I could eat an entire box when I was a kid, without even cutting it properly, taking it from the tray with my fingers. And I do remember they had tiny little walnuts in them. No pecan, I guess because pecans are more expensive.
I don’t think I have ever had pecans before coming to the US, and I really love them. That’s why a pecan brownie made total sense to me.
The only problem is that the batch I made was apparently too small as it only lasted a day. I might need to revise quantity and double next time 😀
- Standing mixer (Kitchenaid) or handmixer with a whisk
- 8.8 oz butter 250g
- 4.4 oz egg white 125g
- 3.2 oz egg yolks 90g
- 3.5 oz brown sugar 100g
- 3.5 oz granulated sugar 100g
- 4.4 oz dark chocolate 125g
- 2.1 oz flour 60g
- 0.5 pz cocoa powder 13g
- Preheat your oven to 390°F.
- Prepare all your ingredients: butter in a saucepan, chocolate in a bowl, egg whites in the bowl of your standing mixer, egg yolks in a bowl, both sugars in a bowl, flour and cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- In your standing mixer, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Continue to whisk and add a little bit of the granulated sugar (about 1 oz) and keep beating until they form a peak.
- Whisk the egg yolks with both sugars until it become pale yellow, thick and forms a ribbon.
- Once the butter is melted pour it on top of the chocolate and mix.
- Pour your chocolate/butter mixture on top of your beaten egg yolks and sugar. Mix
- Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix.
- Gently add the whipped white eggs into the mixture.
- Do not overmix.
- Transfer batter to baking pan.
- Add pecans. Baker for 20 mn
I would say the perfect brownie 😋
Thank you so much 😀
Those brownies look amazing! I want one right now.
Thank you Erika. No left over unfortunately 😛
These look and sound delicious! Will be trying soon 🙂
Thank you 🙂
That recipe looks soooo good. I too have only recently discovered pecans. Not many stores sell them around here (I live in Germany) and they are expensive. But I have now discovered a supermarket that always has them in stock! (P.S. I am guessing you were referring to specials like “American Week” in stores like Aldi and Lidl???)
Exactly haha Both Aldi and Lidle actually. I had them both near my house and my mum would shop there.